Thursday, November 5, 2009

Refreshing the herb garden

Recently we had to refresh one of our herb gardens. Sometimes the plants can age to a point where they become very woody and are no longer very good for culinary use. We love to step out the back door and harvest fresh herbs to add to whatever we happen to be cooking. The garden is planted in an old vintage horse trough I acquired many years ago. Removing the large over grown plants created a bare spot on the fence (can't have bare spots) so I had James make a metal sign to label our garden. I like the sign so much we are making more for resale and also doing some with different words for the holidays, like BELIEVE & PEACE, JOY, & NOEL. I think they will make great decorations for indoors or out. Our herbs have been planted for about two weeks now and they are responding well to the mild fall weather, they have doubled in size and will be available for trimming soon. Growing an herb garden is easy and very satisfying, you should plant one if you haven't already!

3 comments:

creekside rummager said...

I'm going to want a sign. I think I like "herbs".

Anne Marie said...

that is just so cute!

nice to meet you fellow gardener!!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

We are going to plant one in an old bed next Spring(-: I can't wait!!!(-: I love yours!! The sign is perfect too(-:

Home

Home
little red house

Honey

Honey
James Enjoying The Lake!

ME

ME
Me Happy to Be!

WHAT INSPIRES ME

Nature, The Ocean, Colors, My Family, James, My Friends, My Pets,God, Music & Poetry, Creative People, Chocolate, Country Living Magazine, Antsy McClain, Dr, Wayne Dyer, Body & Soul Magazine,Gardening, Old Things, My Dreams, Rachel Ray, Morning, The Seasons, Seeds and the list will continue...Let me know what inspires you?